1/72: Canadair Sabre Mk.6 23707, 434 Squadron, RCAF, 1950s
The Canadair Sabre was built in two plants in Canada under license from North American Aviation. They were produced in 6 variants, Mk. 1 through 6. The Mk. 1 was a single prototype to check the accuracy of Canadair’s manufacturing equipment. 350 Mk. 2’s, 1 Mk. 3 to use as a test bed for the Orenda 3 engine, 438 Mk. 4’s, 370 Mk. 5’s and 655 Mk. 6’s were manufactured. Over a dozen countries have operated the Canadair Sabre in one variant or another. At one point during WWII the RCAF 434 Squadron flew Halifax bombers and was adopted by the Rotary Club of Halifax, Nova Scotia so the 434rd used the nickname “Blue Nose” referring to the famous schooner of the same name. After WWII the squadron was disbanded at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada on September 5, 1945 but on July 1, 1952 reformed at Uplands, Ontario with Canadair F-86 Sabres. In 1953 the 434 transferred to Zweibrucken, Germany flying the F-86 until January 1963 before switching to the CF-104.
1 in stock